What studies should I do to work in international relations?

Home » school » FAQ » What studies should I do to work in international relations?

Do you want to work internationally through public and private institutions?
Develop your career by choosing an international relations major. Where to get trained? What are the pre-requisites? Focus.

Would you like to be called back?

Would you like to have more information?

Would you like to to join us?

Which studies should I choose to work in international relations?

International relations is a vast and above all multidisciplinary field. The course of study is thus based on several fundamentals, including history, geography, political and social sciences, and economics. As such, each of the previously mentioned majors can help you develop a career in international relations. In other words, you can start your university education in one of these fields before finding an institution that offers a master’s level specialization. In addition to these specific trainings, it is essential to have a good knowledge of languages.

How to do a Bachelor’s degree at HEIP to work in international relations?

In addition to a bachelor’s degree at the university, you can train directly for a bachelor’s degree at institutions like HEIP. The idea is to acquire all the necessary basics during a 3-year training. Indeed, the Bachelor’s degree in international relations is as multidisciplinary as possible, especially since it is associated with political science. This course of study provides you with notions in :

  • balances and imbalances in the world ;
  • international crisis simulation ;
  • method and analysis of international relations ;
  • public international law ;
  • international economics and finance ;
  • political science;

HEIP’s Bachelor’s degree in International Relations is open to students with a HGGSP (History-Geography, Geopolitics and Political Science) major. However, those with a post-baccalaureate education in the social sciences, economics, humanities or the arts can also join the program. Admission is by competitive examination, consisting of a written and oral test.

How to do an MSc at HEIP to work in international relations?

HEIP offers a master’s degree in diplomacy and international relations to students with a Bac+3. It is therefore a way to specialize after a degree in one of the above-mentioned fields. The Master’s degree is also an opportunity to continue your studies after the Bachelor’s degree in international relations. To apply, submit your application including:

  • a certificate of education or a copy of your last diploma;
  • a photocopy of your identity card;
  • a CV;
  • a pre-filled motivation questionnaire.

Admission is conditional on passing the written and oral tests. You should know that the Master’s program is conducted either in French or in English, with the possibility of switching to a sandwich course.

Why would you want to study to work in international relations?

As the name suggests, international relations are about exchanges between different structures around the world. This program is an opportunity to put your skills to work in the service of change, development and humanitarianism. Thanks to the many courses taught over the years, international relations provides a rich education, offering you many career opportunities. Positions are available in both the public and private sectors, with institutions of various sizes expanding internationally. Among the openings of the training, it is possible to quote:

  • international cooperation officer ;
  • cross-border project manager, particularly in the humanitarian field;
  • diplomat;
  • international strategy analyst ;
  • consultant oriented towards international development;
  • head of an NGO.

How many years of study are needed to work in international relations?

Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees are the main requirements for working in international relations. This means that you can choose between a 3 and 5 year training. Those who wish to obtain a doctorate can, of course, continue their studies.

What qualities are needed to study and work in international relations?

In addition to academic degrees, international relations is a field that requires personal qualities. The term “relationship” indicates good communication skills as well as ease in dealing with others. In addition to the natural ability to communicate with different partners, it is necessary to be diplomatic. This means knowing how to exchange and negotiate firmly, but always with tact.

Of course, you must be able to converse in the language of the person you are speaking to or of the region where you wish to pursue your career. While English is a must, Spanish, Japanese, Arabic and other modern languages can be useful. Moreover, this field requires great flexibility and availability at all times to deal with possible conflicts.

Learn more

Updated 12 March 2024